Everyday Alchemy: Discover the Extraordinary in Every Moment

Alchemy:(n.) The power or process of transforming something common into something extraordinary. Hi! I'm Sarah Robinson, Business Coach and Resident Alchemist. Welcome to my Blog. My mission is to bring the powerful magic of Everyday Alchemy into the daily lives of Life Adventurers everywhere (especially those with an entrepenurial bent!). Let me know how this resonates with you-I am fascinated! Email me: sarah@everydayalchemy.com. Visit my website at http://www.everydayalchemy.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Check Your Assumptions-Perception Is Reality

Now that I live in a town that has no Sunday Morning Paper (and no where to get a really good one!), one of my favorite Sunday morning activities is surfing the blogosphere (who knew that would bcome a word!) to see who is writing things that interest me. There are lots of great ones writing about Katrina - maybe I'll make a list of those links for you later today. The one I just read and liked and wanted to share is MonsterBlog. The September 9 entry is on Sexual Harrassment at Work. In another life, I worked in the male dominated office or a male dominated industry and I swear these guys never got it. Lewd jokes, keeping women in support positions, physical comments that were way beyond acceptable-oh the stories I could tell you! When I finally blew a gasket over the promotion of an unqualified female who fawned, flirted and basically fed the male egos in the place, I got fired. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Anyway, I digress. Even if you aren't talking about something as serious as sexual harassment, we would all improve our communication skills if we remember that perception is reality -what the other person perceives you to be saying is all that really matters in any conversation. So, the next time you find yourself feeling oh-so-misunderstood, check your assumptions. Are your words and actions open to a different interpretation? Try as hard as you can to put yourself in the other person's shoes. Don't get all co-dependent about it, just try on some different info-filters and see what you find out.

Find Something Extraordinary In Today!
Sarah