Everyday Alchemy: Discover the Extraordinary in Every Moment

Alchemy:(n.) The power or process of transforming something common into something extraordinary. Hi! I'm Sarah Robinson, Business Coach and Resident Alchemist. Welcome to my Blog. My mission is to bring the powerful magic of Everyday Alchemy into the daily lives of Life Adventurers everywhere (especially those with an entrepenurial bent!). Let me know how this resonates with you-I am fascinated! Email me: sarah@everydayalchemy.com. Visit my website at http://www.everydayalchemy.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, June 20, 2005

Instant Alchemy

This weekend I learned an amazing tool for creating instant alchemy in any relationship-I'd like to share it with you. Before I do, let me say that it is extremely simple (not to be confused with easy!) to read and process intellectually. However, doing it takes real courage and focus. Most importantly, it must come from the heart. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Here we go:
Pick a relationship that you want to transform-your child, your mother, your pain in the neck co-worker. Find a reason to engage them in conversation. Now-here is where the magic happens-when the other person is speaking, focus all of your attention on what he or she is saying. Listen with all of your concentration. See them while they are talking. You don't have to lock eyes or anything, just make eye contact while they are speaking. Don't start thinking about what you are going to say or let your mind drift. Just listen. Let the words that are being said affect you. In other words, be present with them-be intensely interested in them. Make the conversation about them-not about you and your needs. When it is your turn to speak, connect your words to the other person. Look at them when you speak. See their reaction to your words.

That's it. Ready to give it a try? This will be a brand new approach for most people, so I recommend applying it to one relationship at a time. Pick the one that matters most. Once you've practiced a few times with the same person, then try it with another. Prepare to be transformed!

Have a Magical Day!

Sarah